School History

Whittier School (1917-1933)

Whittier School
This school was built on the northeast corner of 26th and Gene Field Road. It was opened in 1917 and in 1933 its name was changed to Eugene Field School. While the school was under construction, classes were held in a house at 2001 N. 22nd Street. It was a two-room structure that was added on to several times before its name was changed.

Eugene Field Elementary

Eugene Field Elementary
On the close of Eugene Field School located at 16th and Sacramento Street, the name was moved to an already existing school in the northeast part of town, Whittier School. As the population increased in the northeast part of the city, additions were made to the original building. In the summer of 1973, the oldest part of the school burned, destroying the office, four large classrooms, the gymnasium and the long hall which had beautiful arched windows that opened out. The fire was probably caused by burning trash escaping from the incinerator smokestack, landing on the old dry wooden shingle roof. The building was redesigned and by 1974 a renovated building continued under the name of Eugene Field School. A library was added, the main office centralized and the parking lot and circle drive was created.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2022 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.